Which Qualifications are Required for Board Membership?
There are no hard and fast rules as to which skills and experience are needed because each industry group and company operates differently.
That said, there are general rules-of- thumb that membership committees and recruiters use to select strong candidates:
- Responsibility for key leadership within an organization is important: C-Suite membership or critical division or operational experience
- Management positions with profit and loss responsibility
- Critical thinking, decision making and strong communication skills
- Industry or subject matter expertise that can benefit the company
- International experience
- Understanding the responsibilities of a director, including a commitment to attend meetings, learn the business, actively participate in decisions that affect the company and work as a team with other board members
- Leadership experience such as a non-profit board membership and civic committees
- Upstanding personal and professional background
- Board education.